• Crosses the Delaware River between the cities of Palmyra, New Jersey and Tacony (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania
• Designed by Ralph Modjeski (engineer of the Manhattan Bridge and the Benjamin Franklin Bridge)
• Bridge replaced the existing ferry service, which began operating between Palmyra and Tacony in 1922
• Built by the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge Company after receiving approval from both the United States Congress and the United States War Department
• Construction began in February 1928
• Bridge opened to traffic August 14, 1929
• Comprised of several different types of structures:
– A through-tied arch at the middle of the river
– A double-leaf bascule span
– Three-span continuous half through-truss spans
– Deck girder approach viaduct spans
• In 1928-1929, total cost was approximately $4 million
• Acquired by Burlington County Bridge Commission in 1948
• No tax money from Burlington County residents is used to maintain this bridge
• Total length from abutment to abutment is 3,659 feet
• Bridge is 38 feet wide and carries three lanes of vehicular traffic (two into Philadelphia and one into New Jersey) and also pedestrians across the river.
• In 1977, lanes were widened, thus changing from four lanes of vehicular traffic to three
• Vertical clearance under main arch span at the center is 61 feet at high tide
• Minimum vertical clearance under bascule span at high tide is approximately 54 feet
• Marine vessels requiring a vertical clearance greater than that of the movable span in its normally closed position must request a bridge opening.
• The bascule span leaves are raised to permit passage of the vessel and vehicular traffic on the bridge is temporarily stopped until the vessel clears the bridge; the span then resumes its normal lowered position.